If you’ve ever had a kidney stone, you’ll never want another. Lemons are the highest source of citrate of any of the citrus fruits. Citrate will help dissolve calcium before it can form into a kidney stone. Squeeze fresh lemons or buy commercial lightly-sweetened lemonade. Both work.
As tempting as it may be to end your holidays next to a warm, inviting fire, don’t assume that your chimney is clean because it hasn’t been used since last Christmas.
Make sure the flu opens and shuts properly. A closed flu or one that slips closed will fill your house with smoke. Even small amount of chimney buildup can allow carbon monoxide to enter the house.
Keep a good carbon monoxide detector close to the fireplace. Better an obnoxious alarm sounds than not if there is carbon monoxide in the air.
If everyone feels sleepy suddenly, or gets a headache get everyone out of doors immediately and call 911.
It may not be the best idea to act as your own chimney sweep. Hire someone who is comfortable around roofs, ladders and chimneys.
With the stress of the holidays coming up, do something nice for yourself and come in for a neuromuscular massage.
There are some people who are profoundly affected by the lack of sunlight in the winter months and those people need to talk to their physicians about using light therapy to help with the symptoms of SAD. Most of us, however, just get a bit of the winter blues that sound in our heads a little like, “it’s too cold to get out and exercise, so I just won’t.” Challenge your own thinking to get in some fun indoor exercise which will help beat back the winter blues. #MarktheSpotMassage
1. Get Outside. It’s hard not to do something physical once you’re out of doors.
2. Set a challenge. Even if you can’t get to your regular workout every day while traveling and visiting, can you do something each and every day?
3. Use Feet-First Sightseeing. If you’re traveling, get to know a neighborhood by walking around and exploring it.
4. Partner up. Partner up with someone you’re traveling with to make sure you both get in a workout.
5. Sign up for a race. Sign up for a race sometime after the holidays so you’re motivated to stay in shape during the holidays.
6. If the weather is terrible, look for a workout station, YouTube video or DVD.Try something entirely new, you may enjoy it.
7. Treat yourself to something new. Give yourself a new piece of workout clothing or workout gear, then use it during the holidays.
8. Start a family tradition. Establish some type of activity that the whole family can participate in and make it an annual event.
9. Do something you enjoyed doing in your childhood–sledding, a snowball fight, or ice skating. All of these can get your muscles moving and your heart pumping.
10. Find a great deal. Many gyms offer special deals during the holidays. Join up or take advantage of a free personal consultation about your fitness goals.
11. Dance! If a holiday party has good music, get up and dance!
12. Cruise the mall. Before you begin shopping in earnest, take a full lap of the mall.
Heavy, spring snow can present a challenge to your health if you need to shovel your walks and driveway. The strain of shoveling in these conditions can lead to exhaustion or worse.
Take it easy. Don’t try to fill the shovel completely before moving the snow. Use an ergonomic shovel to help move the snow to the edges of the driveway instead of trying to lift and throw the snow. If you feel chest pain or shortness of breath. Stop. If the symptoms continue, call 911.
If you injure your back or if you feel stiff and sore after shoveling, a good neuromuscular massage can have you feeling better quickly.
Kava Kava is a natural pain reliever used for tension headaches and neuropathic pain. Kava Kava is a member of the pepper family and has been used as a natural remedy throughout the South Pacific for centuries. Kava Kava contains Kavalactones that have an analgesic effect, but can also produce mild sedative effects. Kava Kava is typically prepared as a tea, although you may find it in capsules or paste that can be mixed into a drink such as a smoothie, as well. Kava Kava is known to cause interactions with some pharmaceutical medications and should be taken only after consultation with your physician. #MarktheSpotMassage
Ginseng is a natural pain reliever that is being used for fibromyalgia. Ginseng is one of the most commonly used supplements in the world. It is known as a fatigue-fighter and immune system booter, but has shown some surprising results in treatment for the chronic neuropathic pain of fibromyalgia without the side effects of the most common pharmaceutical treatment given today.
Any supplement can interact with pharmaceutical prescriptions so you should consult your prescribing physician if you are taking medicines of any kind. #MarktheSpotMassage