Pineapple has many good vitamins and minerals including calcium, manganese, Vitamins A and C, as well as folic acid. Pineapple has been shown to shorten viral and bacterial infections. It also strengthens your bones and has anti-inflammatory effects.
Furnaces, fireplaces and other heating elements can produce carbon monoxide if not properly ventilated. If you find yourself using something other than your furnace to heat the area you’re in, make sure there is at least a crack in the door or windows of the room or car you’re in.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include: dizziness, headache, nausea, fatigue, vomiting, difficulty breathing and chest pain.
Unfortunately, the cherry red skin color that we’re all taught to look for is often a symptom that occurs so late that the carbon monoxide exposure is already dire.
Take some pro-active steps to ensure your home is safe. Install carbon monoxide detectors along with your smoke detectors.
If you’re in a cabin or other remote location, a stand-alone carbon monixide detector should be among your gear.
And if you find yourself stuck in a car and need to keep the engine running for heat, leave a window cracked, and get out every so often to make sure the tail pipe has not become covered in snow.
Snow, freezing rain and ice make surfaces difficult to navigate and increase the risk of falls along with associated injuries such as fractures, sprains, strains and head injuries.
If you’re on a slippery surface, take short steps and walk slowly.
Try to establish three points of contact such as a rail or other stable structure as you walk.
Avoid carrying anything in your hands while on a slippery surface as you need your hands free for balance.
If you do take a fall, a good neuromuscular massage will help relieve your aches and pains.
Winter is not only the cold and flu season, but now that there’s Covid, there’s all the more reason to stay well.
All the the advice pertaining to Covid helps to stop the spread of colds and the flu as well.
Frequent hand washing for a minimum of 20 seconds with soap and running water.
Sanitizing areas where multiple people congregate such as break rooms or the elevator.
Keep your distance if you can.
Stay properly hydrated and maintain a healthy diet.
Exercising consistently is a well-known boost to the immune system.
And bundle up so that you can get outside and enjoy the fresh air as much as you can.
Be safe on ladders while taking down your holiday lighting.
If you’re working anywhere near powerlines, use a wooden or fiberglass ladder. Touching a metal ladder to a powerline or having one arc over onto a ladder you are standing on may send you to the emergency
As tempting as it may be to end your holidays next to a warm, inviting fire, don’t assume that your chimney is clean because it hasn’t been used since last Christmas.
Make sure the flu opens and shuts properly. A closed flu or one that slips closed will fill your house with smoke. Even small amount of chimney buildup can allow carbon monoxide to enter the house.
Keep a good carbon monoxide detector close to the fireplace. Better an obnoxious alarm sounds than not if there is carbon monoxide in the air.
If everyone feels sleepy suddenly, or gets a headache get everyone out of doors immediately and call 911.
It may not be the best idea to act as your own chimney sweep. Hire someone who is comfortable around roofs, ladders and chimneys.
Get Some Fresh Air. Research indicates that a boost in Vitamin D from the sunlight may increase your levels of seratonin, giving you a more relaxed feeling. And deep breathing increases oxygen in your tissues which is always helpful.
Try Not to Alter Your Sleep Schedule. Even if you have to cook, and clean and shop, get to bed on time. A lack of sleep can increase your stress levels.
Get Some Exercise. Exercise will help you maintain your energy and your sleep cycle. This isn’t the time for an entirely new exercise regime, just do something fun 20-30 minutes per day.
Come In for a Good Neuromuscular Massage. Nothing can relieve muscle tension and stress the way good body work can.
There’s nothing worse than spoiling your holiday season with a trip to the emergency room. Here are a few tips for staying safe during the holidays.
Most of all, have a happy holiday season with family and friends. The ER won’t mind, if you don’t need them.
Happy Thanksgiving. We are thankful for family, clients, colleagues, friends and neighbors.
For those of you who get up one or more times during the night to urinate, eating a couple of table spoons of raisins (one kid-sized snack box) may cut down your trips to the bathroom