Here are some tips for keeping your immune system at its peak.
1. Eat a healthy, well-balanced diet. Healthy proteins, complex carbohydrates and good fats can boost your immune system.
2. Exercise. Regular exercise slows the release of the stress hormone cortisol. Less cortisol, fewer infections.
3. Get plenty of sleep. Your immune system rebuilds and repairs itself while you sleep. Adults should try to get 8 hours of sleep each night.
4. Wash your hands often. Proper hand washing is the most effective way to prevent the spread of diseases.
5. Maintain healthy intestinal bacteria. Your intestine requires good bacteria to process and digest foods. Yogurt with active cultures and a good probiotic will help you keep the proper levels of good bacteria in your intestines.
6. Be careful when handling and preparing food. Cross contamination of food occurs when cutting boards, for example, are used for raw meats followed by raw vegetables. Always cut on clean surfaces, and bleach your cutting boards regularly.