Don’t Fire Up the Fireplace Unless It has been Cleaned

As tempting as it may be to end your holidays next to a warm, inviting fire, don’t assume that your chimney is clean because it hasn’t been used since last Christmas.

Make sure the flu opens and shuts properly. A closed flu or one that slips closed will fill your house with smoke. Even small amount of chimney buildup can allow carbon monoxide to enter the house.

Keep a good carbon monoxide detector close to the fireplace. Better an obnoxious alarm sounds than not if there is carbon monoxide in the air.
If everyone feels sleepy suddenly, or gets a headache get everyone out of doors immediately and call 911.

It may not be the best idea to act as your own chimney sweep. Hire someone who is comfortable around roofs, ladders and chimneys.

chimney-sweep
#MarktheSpotMassage

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s